Thursday, July 17, 2014

My Top Fitness Questions Asked At the Gym

As a fitness coach I get asked a lot of fitness related questions. Here are my frequent ones. Please keep in mind, these answers are my opinions based on what I have learned about fitness.

1. If I am doing cardio and strength on the same day which one should I do first, and for how long?
 It all depends on your goals. If you are trying to increase your endurance or lose the weight, then do cardio first. If you are trying to improve or increase muscular strength do strength training first. Most of the time clients want both, so alternating between the cardio and strength is good too.
 
2. How long of a rest between reps during strength training should I take?
    Based on the FITT Principle for Muscular Strength and Endurance beginners and intermediates
   30sec to 1 minute. If you are doing low reps with high sets then your rest time should be 2-5 minutes            between sets.

3.When should I increase my weights for strength training?
   When it stops being challenging. You want to overload your muscles so they become stronger.

5. Should I eat before I workout?
     I heard this as a myth: Don't eat before a workout. Wrong.  Your body needs energy to
     perform, especially if it is going to be high intensity. It does not have to be a huge meal, but
     a healthy snack like a banana with some peanut butter or low fat yogurt with some fruit.

6. How many days a week do I have to workout to lose weight?
    It depends on your goals and what you are trying to achieve. ACSM recommends 200-300 minutes each     week of moderate-intensity exercise. With my clients i typically train high intensity twice a week with the       other days of moderate intensity 30-60 minutes. Keep in mind food plays a huge factor in weight loss.

7.  Why am I not losing weight if I work out everyday?
      In my experience it could be one or all of the three:
     1.The exercise you are doing is not challenging enough,
     2. Food. You are eating more then what your are burning.
     3. Medical reasons.

  8  How long should  warm up and cool down?
     Ten minutes to warm-up and five-ten minutes to cool-down.
     
9. When will I be able to do a head stand pushup?
      Practice makes perfect. Workout and strengthen upper body with strength training.

No comments:

Post a Comment