Thursday, January 3, 2013

Inches versus Pounds

In my training career, the client almost always has this goal: "lose weight". What I notice, though, during the initial meeting, as I dig a little deeper, it comes down to "I want to be healthier" and "I want my clothes to fit better," and "I want to be leaner". Duh, right, why else do you hire a trainer (unless you think they are really hot, and want them to notice you)?

Ok, then, so now this goal has become more about inches then pounds. Poor pounds always get blasted. Do you ever just tell you scale "BITCH, YOU'RE WRONG!" Ok, well, that may be harsh, but that is typically my response to most things I don't agree with. Here's the thing: when you lose body fat, you lose inches, but not always the pounds. Since a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat (muscle takes up less space), your reduced body fat and healthier body composition don't always change that number on the scale.  Keep in mind there is more to weight loss than simple numbers on a scale. Sometimes the numbers on your scale do not take into account how much lean muscle mass you have put on, body fat that you have lost,  medications you may be taking, or certain non permanent weight fluctuations (your weight can vary as much as 5 lbs in a single day).

Stick to a combinations of cardiovascular aerobic workouts and weight training. If you have to obsess over numbers, then I suggest looking at your clothes size to gauge your process. If that number gets smaller, your are making progress in that body fat reduction, and as you lose excess body fat and gain muscle, you'll notice your clothes fit better. So does that number on the scale really matter if your have achieved a healthier, leaner, fitter you?

So as I have told others (and myself) -  forget that scale! Instead, build that exercise routine, have your body fat measured periodically, and look at how you fit in your clothes. The pounds will eventually catch up.


As with all forms of exercise, you should consult with your physician or healthcare professional before undertaking any of the fitness training discussed in this blog. Any application of the techniques, ideas, and suggestions in this blog should be used as a guideline.

No comments:

Post a Comment