Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Chris's Journey Entry 15: You Will Not Be This Way Forever

Entry 15: You Will Not Be This Way Forever I do not know really what to say. I have thought about it for a week and as of an hour ago, I still did not know what to say. So I am now home from the gym, sweaty and exhausted. I figured I would just sit down at the computer and see what comes out. I had not weighed myself in a while. I just do not like to weigh myself. Usually weighing myself results in hurt feelings and picking on myself for not doing better. Last time I weighed myself I was 450 pounds. That was right before Christmas. I weighed in today at 442. 8 pounds, I lost 8 pounds! I thought it was six after I weighed myself, but looking at the records I was 450…so 8 pounds baby! I will make this promise to myself. I will never weigh 450 pounds again. That stage of my life is done. Now it is time for the next step, getting to the 300s. I have gotten a lot of nice compliments over the past few weeks. My trainer saw me walking across my work campus last week and said she could tell that I lost weight. That is like gold to someone trying to lose weight. A few friends continue to see me walking and give me the loveliest messages. Another friend told me the other day that he noticed I was moving better…not stumbling around so much. And then my dietician told me the best compliment of them all. She said that she liked the man that I am becoming. That is just too cool to me. I felt pretty amazing after that comment! I went to walk today and really couldn’t. The weather here in Jacksonville is raining and damp and just bleak. So I went to the gym and got on the dreaded treadmill. In case you do not know, I HATE the treadmill. It is a torture device. Walk, and never actually go anywhere. After 5 minutes on the evil device I was done. I just like to walk outside. And I am going to stick to it. Francesca, recommended that I do some fitness band work outs and do cardio in between. In between the first fitness band workout, we went in to the fitness classroom and I was going to walk around. Francesca recommended that I carry a bosu ball (http://bosu.com/) over my head for the laps I was doing. So I did three laps. Then I carried it on my chest for another three laps. I then finished my fitness band workout and then did 8 laps total holding the bosu ball. It was a great work out even though Runtastic was not able to show it to you. I need to remember that while Runtastic is wonderful and getting the walking in is huge, the important thing is to continue to do things that are healthy for me. So any kind of exercise needs to be the goal and not just showing off for you all (even though I love to do that). On February 15th, I have signed up to do my first official 5K race (walk). I am excited and nervous, but I think it is going to be really good. I have some amazing friends that are going to walk with me and I am going to proudly get my first 5K medal at the end. I am really looking forward to the end of that race. That will be a great day. The title of this entry is, “You will not be this way forever”. Francesca told me this during one of my walks (the 5K one). I really liked the statement. Anytime I pick on myself or am hard on myself, I need to remind myself that I will not be this way forever. I am working and more importantly I am learning to take care of myself. This may be a slow process (458 pounds in October, 442 pounds in January) but I am going down. I just need to keep my eye on the price. A healthier Chris. Sincerely, Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment