Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Chris's Journey- #10

Entry 10: Motivations Comes in All Shapes & Sizes (The Story of Day 28)

The story of day 28 begins a little over ten years ago. Ten years ago last August I got a call from my best friend’s husband telling me that their baby is coming early, and that it should be anytime now. I was shocked. This was August and the baby was supposed to be born in November. Two and a half months early? I was scared. I was scared for my friend whom I consider family and her unborn son that was so excited for the world that he decided to come out sooner than expected. So a few hours later I received another call that a baby boy was born and was in intensive care. I asked to come down and was told not to. Mom and Dad were going to be by baby’s side and this was not the time for visitors. I hung up the phone and prayed. Prayed that my friend made it through the birth; prayed that while the baby was struggling, he was alive and fighting. 

So it is ten years later, and this baby boy whom I am proud to call my first God son is alive and fighting. You see the last ten years have not been easy for him. Because he was a preemie he has had health issues all his life. He and I relate a little because he has had just as many ear surgeries as I have had. But he had several other issues that has had him battle and battle and battle. And with every issue he has always picked himself up again.  If you meet him, you would never know he has any kinds of issues. He is funny. He is very charming. And he is very, very active. He is also smart as a tack, and asks questions about things that adults have not considered. And even through all the issues this amazing boy has had, he LOVES God and Jesus. Most would have thrown up their hands and asked why, but this boy just loves. Do you want to know what inspires me? My God son inspires me.
So a few weeks ago I got a text message saying that my God son had another condition. This one was big. Surgery big. Potential for all sorts of bad things to happen big. I was shocked. I was not much help to my best friend, as I did not know what to say to her. What does one say to someone when their ten year old boy has to have another surgery that might have to save their life? I wish I was a more of a comfort, but I was not. But my best friend said this to me, “he won’t be able to walk for a few days. Walk for him. In your journey walk for him.” And I did. I was proud to have those journey days dedicated to him. 

My God son is back home from his surgery now. He is still healing and on the mend. His mom has to slow him down, because even though he had major surgery a week ago, he is still a force of nature. He still wants to play and run and tackle his younger brother. But he needs to heal. He has to heal. He wants to walk and run, but he cannot right now. He needs to heal so that he can get better.

So now comes day 28 for me, which was last Friday. On the day before my team at work and I went to a food bank to help stock and move canned and boxed food around for people that the next day would be coming to get so they could eat on Christmas day. I did not work as hard as some of my team members, but I did lift and move a lot of heavy food. It was difficult work, but it was good work. After the event was over, my legs, back and ankles hurt. I was a wreck. I knew I was not going to walk this day, but needed to do it Friday. If I did not walk on Friday, I am not sure when I would have a chance over the weekend. I did not want to miss another day. So I set my alarm for 5 AM and packed my work clothes in a bag. I was going to get up and walk before work, and then start my day.
As you all know 5 AM is very early. My alarm went off and I was not happy about it. I got up out of bed and felt every bit of my weight as my back still ached and my knees hurt. I moved around my apartment to loosen up. Nothing happened. I still was in pain and struggling. I sat on my bed again and decided I could not walk today. I was too hurt, too wrecked, and too tired. Maybe I could walk another day.

Then I looked up at my wall and saw a picture of my nephews and my two God sons of my best friend (well one official God son and one unofficial). My best friend gave me this amazing picture of the four of them last Christmas. It is one of my most cherished possessions. When I looked at the picture, I saw my God son there with his amazing smile and his arm around my oldest nephew. I could not tear my eyes away from his image. And then it hit me. This 10 year old kid was battling every day to live his life how he wants to live it. A 10 year old boy who has had more issues than I have fingers (and maybe toes). This ten year old that if he could would be out walking no matter what time of the day it was. He would walk for me if I needed it. At ten, he would do anything for me. And I was complaining about my back? I was complaining about my knees? I knew I was not injured. I was just sore and there is no reason why you cannot walk if you are sore. So I got my shoes and clothes on and drove to work. I checked in with the gym and with Francesca and went on my walk. As I walked I noticed I was super tired, but I did not hurt at all. My back felt good. My knees felt good. So I walked on.

Day 28 is one of my proudest days walking. Did I walk very far? No, I walked 1.20 miles. Did I walk very fast? No I did not. I did the mile in 25 minutes. But I walked. I was inspired by this 10 year old that has more courage than I do. It was not a great walk, but it was my favorite walk because of why I did it. I do not have any conditions that would prevent me from walking. And if that 10 year old cannot walk even though he desperately wants to, I can walk with the thought of him on my mind and prayers. 

Motivation can come from anywhere. But the best kind of motivation comes from things that you have your heart invested in. 

Sincerely,

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment