Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Eating before and after a workout


Eating right can give your workout the umph it needs or reach that 100th push-up. Whatever you are doing, eating right affects your performance in that activity.
So, the big question- What should I eat before and after a workout?

Remember that your body is like a car. A car needs gas to work, and just like  a radiator your body needs water to. With that said your body needs lean protein to build and maintain muscle, complex carbohydrates for energy, healthy fats, and fluids.

Below are a few tips to try, and foods to eat before and after your workout.

Morning workout:
After being asleep for 7+ hours, your body needs to feed to jump start the metabolism. Within 30 minutes to an hour of waking up, try having a few handfuls of cereal (I like Oatmeal Squares by Quaker), oatmeal, or a banana.
Post morning workout:
Something with peanut butter, like graham crackers. Also a glass low fat milk- chocolate also is fantastic! I personally like to take peanut butter on a piece of whole grain bread with a little bit of orange blossom honey is great!
Afternoon Workout:
A light snack will help you get through your workout. A piece of fruit like an apple/banana with peanut butter, with an egg.
Post afternoon workout:
A handful of almonds, yogurt, orange, or even bell peppers. I love taking raw bell peppers, cutting them up and eating them. They are full of vitamins and antioxidents. Be careful though, sometimes they can give you heartburn. :)
Evening workout:
You can eat the same as the afternoon workout, and for post workout a smoothie is great, or some plain yogurt with fruit is fantastic.

Everyone is different. These are just some suggestions that have kept me going when I work out at different times. I teach aerobic classes everyday, so I need as much fuel as I can, and it has to be easy for me to prepare.
See what works for you, experiment with your food. I do recommend avoiding foods that are hign in fat or are spicy. You will either get a stomach ache, or just feel like crap after 10 minutes into your workout.

Whatever your choice, make it work for you!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment