Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Hydration- How much water should I drink?




I hear this question all the time- How much water should I drink? There is so much information out there with so many different thoughts on this, that I myself also become confused.

Based on my research 45-50 percent of our water intake does come from drinking fluids, which includes juice, milk, soda, and yes even coffee. Another 35 percent is from foods, and the rest tends to come from metabolism.

Have you ever heard- Drink before you are thirsty? Well, now the new thing is to drink as you are thirsty. For a long time we have been told by experts that if you feel thirsty you have become dehydrated. From reading different studies, it seems that this has shown no negative impact on health nor an individual's performance.
Since there appears to be no perfect indicator of thirst- I have come down to this conclusion- balance. Drink as your thirsty, eat plenty of fruits and veggies to get some of your flluids, and just see what works for your body.  I personally like to take little sips of water every 10-12 minutes when I am working out, instead of guzzling it all at once (stomach can't handle that). We are all different (duh) so different things may work for us that may not work for others.









sources: http://www.active.com

No comments:

Post a Comment