Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Chris's Journey #28 : The Battle for Me Part 2: The Decision


Issue 28: The Battle for Me Part 2: The Decision
Wow, I cannot believe I am finally talking about this in public. It has been a crazy journey since October. But really, the journey started much further than that. It started almost a year and a half ago when I accepted and began meeting with an amazing group of people at my work to begin the process of learning to be healthier. But the journey even started further back than that. It started in November of 2011. Let me explain.
I have been working for Florida Blue for 13 years now. It has been an amazing experience and I work in a place I care about and love. Working there has also helped introduce me to some of the greatest people I have ever met. But it is still a job, although one I adore. In November of 2011 a group of Florida Blue (FLB) employees got together for a meeting called, Conversations with Leadership. These were meetings where we met with the senior leadership of our company and they answered any questions that the employees ask. It happens once or twice a year and this meeting was a little different.
There was a buzz in this meeting. In September 2011, FLB hired a new CEO of the company by the name of Pat Geraghty. Mr. Geraghty at his introduction to the company seemed personable and excited to be at FLB and ready to take on any issues that came his way. His energy is infectious and you like him immediately. I did not know that just a few months later how our paths would merge.
I will be honest, the first ten years at FLB; I met none of our CEOs. There were two before and they seemed to be up high and away from the common workers. So I went to this meeting thinking the same thing, I would learn a little bit about our new CEO, but did not expect anything after that. About an hour and a half in to the meeting, I finally got the nerve up to raise my hand and ask a question. He picked me and I stood up and said something of the following:
”Mr. Geraghty, bariatric surgery used to be a covered benefit several years ago and that benefit was taken away. Can you tell us if bariatric surgery will ever be a benefit again? I have struggled with my weight most of my life and that surgery could possibly save my life.”
I could not believe I said that. I may be an extrovert at times, but with leadership people at work, I turn in to an introvert. But I still said it. He listened to me. He said that he did not know, but he would look in to it for me and get back with me. I smile and nodded and sat down. The meeting ended a little later and I went up to Mr. Geraghty and shook his hand and said thank you for listening to me. He again assured me he would check in to it.
I figured a busy man like him would forget. There was a lot going on with our company and I figured that question would be last on the list. But 2 weeks later the vice president of my area, contacted me and she told me that she was looking in to it with Mr. Geraghty and she would keep in contact with me on it. A few weeks later, I was invited to a meeting with the Chief Medical Officer of FLB. In the meeting, he asked me questions about myself and my struggles. He too was very kind in listening to me and caring about me. My VP kept checking in with me from time to time to tell me what was going on or just to encourage me. It was amazing.
In the middle of 2012, I was asked if I wanted to be a part of a wellness program at work. I would have access to a dietician, a doctor, and a counselor. The company would provide all and be at my disposal. I quickly said yes and it was the best decision of my life. For the next 14 months I learned how to take care of myself. My counselor and I worked to repairing the mental aspects of my situation. It all lead up to that fateful day in October where I started to walk and the journey began to pick up a lot of steam.
In November 2013 the decision at FLB was finally made. Bariatric surgery would once again become a benefit. I was joyous! I now could make the decision if I wanted to take my journey to the next level. And the thought and prayer process began. Would I get bariatric surgery done?
I talked to a lot of people in my life. I talked to family and I talked to a lot of close friends. I also researched a lot (well for the past 3 years) and then was able to make a decision. I would get the bariatric procedure, the Gastric Sleeve performed on me.
So why have I not mentioned this before now? Well to be honest, I did not want any negative feedback. The decision was mine and mine alone to make, and after I decided, I did not want any other negative opinion coming in and trying to change my mind. I hope you can understand and appreciate the personal nature of this decision.
This procedure is not a cure in itself. This procedure is not the easy way out to losing weight. I equate it to running a 100 yard dash. This procedure gives me a five yard head start. The work to lose the weight will be all mine. If I do not work out and change my eating habits, I will be right back where I am now. If I do not work on my head stuff, I will be right back where I am now. If I do not work out, I will still keep the fat on my body. The surgery is a tool, and it is a tool I choose to use.
As you read this I am either currently having the surgery done or have had it completed. It will be done the morning of May the 6th. I go in to the surgery with my eyes wide open and my head held high. I have worked hard for this moment. The past week I have been on an all liquid diet and it has been the toughest thing I have ever done. I did cheat a little with solid protein, but for 90% of the week, I followed the liquid plan to the letter.
Finally, the reason I decided to do this surgery is the exact same as when I spoke to Mr. Geraghty in 2011. Because it will help save my life. This surgery will help me unlock the potential in everything I am and everything I want to become. But again, this surgery is a tool. Without me, there is no achieving anything. So I am rolling up my sleeves and once I heal, I will be prepared to work. And I am determined to make this work. A long time ago, I dug a fairly deep hole for myself in life. With a lot of work, this surgery will be the beginning steps of climbing out the hole. And I am glad. That hole has been my home for FAR too long. So, that is my decision. My choice and my choice made with God’s help. And I am very proud of me.
Sincerely, Chris

7 comments:

  1. I'm very proud of you too. You're not alone, my friend!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Takes a strong mind to set the path to any journey and take the steps to accomplish it. Good luck and keep ur readers posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my mind, your first step was bravely asking that question. My very best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris I am very proud and happy for you. This seems to be something that you really want. I just found your post but I pray that you have come through the surgery with flying colors, and with continued determination you will achieve all that you set you mind too. I will continue to pray for you and God bless all that you put your hands to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Chris, I just read your blog with tears in my eyes. What an amazing story of courage and determination. I want you to know that we are ALL pulling for you. Keep up the struggle because we are all struggling with something. So . . . hang in there, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Chris - I saw this link on FB and just read from day one - just wanted to say YAY YOU!!! I worked at the OP mall a million years ago when you were at Chick Fil-A, which meant that I saw you most every day :) You are doing amazing things - congrats on this next step in your journey! Sincerely, Cara Richardson

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris is doing great! He has been released today! Thank you for all your encouragements!

    ReplyDelete